Falmouth Public Library
July 2022 – June 2027
Inspired by what was learned through a dialogue with the community, the Falmouth Public Library has developed a five-year strategic plan based on community aspirations for the Library as discovered through surveys, focus groups and community conversations.
The Falmouth Public Library – where inspiration, imagination, innovation and discovery come together enriching lives and creating a vibrant and informed community
The Falmouth Public Library engages and empowers the community through its programs, services and its collections that inform, educate and entertain.
Priority 1: COMMUNITY COLLABORATIONS AND CONNECTIONS
The Library will continue to sustain and build relationships with community groups and organizations to broaden the reach of library services throughout the Town. Staff will work to reach new communities and increase the visibility of the Library throughout the community.
- Look for opportunities to bring the library into the community
- Seek out partnerships with other community groups and Town departments
- Identify underserved residents of Falmouth and develop appropriate services
- Ensure that the diversity of our community is reflected in library collections and programming activities by integrating core values of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Implement new ways to increase awareness and engage library users where they are, not waiting for them to come to the building for library services
Priority 2: A PLACE FOR DISCOVERY
The library is committed to providing the community with opportunities for learning and personal growth through print, digital, and online collections, as well as robust offerings of public programming.
- Continue to offer an array of programs that focus on educational, informational, arts and cultural opportunities for all ages
- Ensure that collections and programs reflect the broad interests and informational needs of the community
- Provide online and digital resources that will expand access within and beyond the physical buildings
- Contribute to the historic record of the community through ongoing conservations and digitization projects
Priority 3: SERVICE EXCELLENCE
The Library is committed to providing the community with high quality library services delivered by helpful, friendly, well-trained staff, and through library facilities that are welcoming, accessible, and comfortable.
- Support a knowledgeable, technology-savvy, service-oriented staff, to ensure the public’s success in the use of the Library’s collection and resources
- Ensure the Library and library grounds serve as welcoming community gathering spaces
- Provide technology resources that are current, well-maintained, and able to meet the changing needs of the community
- Assess Library facilities on a regular basis for their ability to support the delivery of services to the community
- Develop opportunities to enhance Library spaces, collections, and services that will support all ages
Priority 4: SUSTAINING CORE RESPONSIBILITIES
The library is committed to sustaining and expanding the use of core library services that are important to the community. Reading, learning, personal growth and exploration remain central to the Library’s mission.
- Provide the community with free access to all collections and programs by removing all barriers
- Support the professional staff as responsible stewards of the library’s financial and physical resources
- Maintain current collections in content and format, fulfilling the Library’s role as a trusted information source and community resource
- Confirm that the Library is guided by the American Library Association Code of Ethics, Freedom to Read and Freedom to View, and State laws regarding Patron Confidentiality