Falmouth Public Library Timeline
Early records of the Falmouth Library Society date back to 1792 with Mr. Henry Lincoln serving as librarian. Preservation of library records, some dating back to the Library Society, are part of the Falmouth Public Library’s Historical Documents project made possible by the people of Falmouth through the Community Preservation Fund.
Founded Library Society
Founding of Falmouth Library Society.
Established Circulating Library
Falmouth Circulating Library established.
Circulating Library Moves!
Falmouth Circulating Library moves to Town Hall.
Falmouth Library collection numbers over 3,000 titles
Granite Memorial Library building on Main Street completed. Central dome with stained glass seal of Falmouth still visible.
Collections and Patrons increase!
Collection numbers 6, 733 volumes, with 665 borrowers.
East Falmouth Branch
East Falmouth Branch opens in E. Falmouth Elementary School.
North Falmouth Branch
North Falmouth Branch opens in N. Falmouth Fire Station.
N. Falmouth Branch Moves
North Falmouth Branch moves to Chester Street.
Regional Reference Service
FPL undertakes Regional Reference service and Interlibrary Loan for the 39 Cape & Islands libraries.
Main Library Expands
Main Library adds twin wings. Collection over 24,000 vols.
New E. Falmouth Branch Site
East Falmouth Branch opens new site overlooking pond.
Main Library builds new addition.
FPL system has 80,000 volumes; joins CLAMS network.
Falmouth Public Library launches website
Reopening of Main Library
Main Library reopens on March 16 after major addition and renovation.